Thursday, February 19, 2015

Medea the Manipulator

Guess who just paid Medea a visit?  It was King Aegeus of Athens himself.  Somehow, he and Medea are old friends.  I know, I'm confused, too.  How does Medea have a friend?  This is the same Medea, right?  King Aegeus hasn't mistaken her for another Medea? 

Anyway,  Aegeus was greatly distressed and on his way to visit the oracle. He badly wants children, and he and his wife are unable to produce any.  Personally, this sounds like a serious medical problem that an oracle can't solve, but I'm just a gossip blogger, so what do I know.  

Medea forced herself upon this poor, upset man.  She managed to make him swear to the gods that he will protect her in Athens. However, there is a catch.  Medea has to find her own way there. This makes no sense to me.  Why can't he simply take her with him?  It seems so much easier that way.  This plan King Aegeus  has come up with seems unnecessarily complicated.  But Medea has somewhere to go once she is banished, now, so problem solved.  

One thing does interest me, though.  Why did Medea not mention her children would be coming with her to Athens?  

No comments:

Post a Comment